Friday, July 23, 2010

Marathon Man

Almost 9 years ago this fall I ran my first marathon. The seed was planted in H.S. when one of my coaches helped plan and organize the first ever Top of Utah. He roped many of his runners into volunteering. That year I helped with road control. I remember the feelings I had as the first runner went past and also how I felt as I saw each of the last few go by. I had stirrings inside then and knew that I would do it someday. There is something so amazing about the finish line of a marathon. It basically chokes me up the whole time watching people finish and accomplish such a great goal. I have done a few marathons with a bit of a break for two babies. I am planning on doing one this fall. But there is something still so amazing about the first one I ever did. It is to this day the fastest one I have done. 5 minutes off of qualifying for Boston, which I will do one day! But here is a link to a story about a special guy. http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11676154&hl=6 I can't say for 100% that this is the guy, but pretty sure. I was at the last mile or so of my first marathon and I just wanted to finish under 4 hours. I was struggling at that point. Big time! I just wanted it to be over and was mostly just shuffling along. This man came along and basically pulled me to the finish line. I finished well under my goal time thanks to him. I am sure that didn't mean much to him, but it meant a lot to me. Truth is I am sure that I am not the only or last person he has helped to the finish line! The guy is pretty darn awesome in my book. So check out his story he is doing his 300th marathon this weekend. I don't know if I will ever make it to number 300, but I plan to keep doing it as long as I can! Why? Maybe cause I am a little crazy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Pretty amazing article!

Laurel Baker said...

Wow, Cami, that is a really cool story! I even got a little emotional! You are pretty inspiring to me! I will always think of you as a super woman!