Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Such a small thing....
....to cause so much trouble! So the Monday before Thanksgiving I didn't feel so good, but didn't think too much about it. I went to bed early and was woken up by a sick little girl. She was throwing up, so I just assumed I had whatever she had. I did not sleep a wink. I honestly just tossed and turned and was miserable the whole night. Isaac even googled because he wasn't sure what was going on with me. I ate yogurt in the middle of the night to see if that would help (ha, ha!). He was concerned, but of course I didn't want to go to the doctor and what in the world would we do with 3 sleeping kids?! Well the next day was a very difficult day. Ella wasn't throwing up, but she just layed around most of the day. Thank heavens for me because I couldn't do anything. If I walked at all I felt like I was gonna throw up and really dizzy. I basically just did the least amount of everything I could possibly do. I remember looking at the clock one point in the morning and having it be only 10am or something like that and wanting to cry because Isaac wouldn't be home for lunch for awhile. Isaac's boss was in town so that made me feel like I couldn't bother him or keep him from work. He did tell me to let him know if he should get Jaxon...well, by the time Jaxon needed to be picked up from school I felt somewhat better. I still didn't feel great, but got him with no problem and even made dinner that night. I figured I was on the mend and was able to sleep through the night, but still didn't feel 100% the next day. Well this was the day before we left for the holiday and it didn't really matter how I felt. There was too much to be done to feel sick. So I trudged through the day and accomplished only what HAD to be done. We left that night to go to our families house for Thanksgiving. During a lot of this time I was having chills and hot spells. I definately had a fever. I figured once we got to our families house I would just retreat to a bedroom and go to sleep, but I felt okay enough to visit and we even stayed up late that night. The next morning (Thanksgiving) Ella woke up early. I wasn't eager to get up with her, but did and tried to go along with the day. I finally dragged Isaac out of bed and told him I had to take a nap. I slept for a couple of hours and woke up not feeling much better. We had planned to take family pictures and went ahead with it. I was a little disappointed because I wanted to take a lot and do lots of cutesy things like I see other people do, but the whole thing lasted about 20 minutes was all. Basically because that was all I could manage. The pictures actually turned out pretty good considering what was brewing inside of me! So I did not help at all in the kitchen for the big dinner and I felt horribly about it, but I just could not do it. By this time everyone was saying I looked kind of pale and saying maybe I should go to the dr. Well after a very small dinner for me and feeding my baby, Isaac and I headed to find an Insta care. Well there was no such thing that night. We ended up in the ER. First they gave me an IV which I thought was ridiculous because I was going to be home in a few minutes, then they did a pelvic exam. Things just went from bad to worse! It didn't take long before the dr was telling me that he thought it was my appendix and it would have to come out.....what? I was crying. So worried about my baby(ies). She doesn't take a bottle and had never been away from me. Also I was supposed to host my families Thanksgiving that weekend and had spent a lot of time and planning for it. Before I knew it I was being willed into the OR by the surgeon (who apparently everyone knew) and the anesthesiologist. I am sure that they do not normally wheel people into the OR. They almost forgot to let me say bye to Isaac. It all felt too crazy. When I came to all I wanted was water and Isaac. Neither of which they would let me have nearly soon enough. When I got to my recovery room. I learned a lot. I only was allowed ice chips for at least a day and food was slow in coming back to me. My parents and sister were there. I learned surgery took much longer than expected. My appendix had burst...not good! They were now telling me I couldn't feed my baby, I would not be going to my families Thanksgiving, and I would be in the hospital for almost a week. What an adventure! I was in the hospital for almost a week. The first few days were an utter blur and then I got really bored! Luckily I had a lot of visitors, phone calls, etc. It was a sad weekend, missing out on most of the festivities. Luckily we had great family support that took over care of our kids for 3 days. We had so much help after I was out of the hospital too! The recovery has been very good. It felt slow during it, but looking back it wasn't too bad. My doctor said I did better than even he expected considering he saw the inside of me and how bad it looked (it was in 5 pieces, yuck!). So, what an adventure we had. I feel so much more grateful for my health now. I also feel reinforced to me how important it is to take care of our bodies all of the time, so that if something like this (completely random) does happen they are healthy and strong and can recover quickly! I didn't get any pie on Thanksgiving...I might have to have extra next year! Truth be told I think I will deserve it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh my dear friend...soooo sorry you had to go through that!!! NOT FUN! And to have it happen over the holidays...even worse! I'm glad things are better now! You DEFINITELY deserve 2 pieces of pie next year!!! :)
Post a Comment